ELMIRA PHOTO OF THE MONTH - JUNE 2008

courtesy of Bill Cook, Southside Class of 1958

CENTURY CLUB
an antique postcard found in Daytona Beach, FL

he Century Club opened its doors on a new building in 1906 at 214 East Church Street after having been organized in 1880 to provide for "social intercourse among the professional and business men" of the Elmira area. The Masonic Temple was first used for meetings and then they moved into the Robinson Building from 1899 until 1906. Popular club games included pool and billiards. The drinking of liquor and beer was prohibited as were gambling and wagering. The Club moved into its new building which had bowling alleys in the basement and a lunch room upstairs. When the Century Club faded away during the Depression, the building was sold in 1933 to the Knights of Columbus.

Please send your comments, questions and suggestions to us at
memories@shs58.org

? Judy Sadler Sandra Fahrenholtz Jerry Goodwin Carole Goodwin Sharon Howe ? ? ? Bill Cook Mary Jo Kline ? ? Florence Reed Martha Reed Margie Brown Nancy Howe