is another photo from our Tom Burhyte collection. and was taken
in 1955 at the Remington Rand Plant on South Main Street in Elmira,
NY. Remington Rand Co. was formed in 1927 to manufacture typewriters,
and during World War II converted its manufacturing processes
in Elmira to build the Norden Bombsite, the first of its kind.
It was a device used in bombing missions over Germany and Eastern
Europe by the Allies.
the company's inception until 1958, it was led by founder James
Rand, Jr. of North Tonawanda, New York. From
1942 to 1945, Remington Rand was one manufacturer of the M1911A1
.45 caliber semi-automatic pistol used by the United States Armed
Forces during World War II. Remington Rand produced more M1911A1
pistols than any other wartime manufacturer.
In 1950, Remington Rand acquired
the Eckert-Mauchly Computer Corporation, founded by the makers
of the ENIAC, and in 1952, they acquired Engineering Research
Associates (ERA), both of which were pioneers in electronic computing.
At that time, Remington Rand had become one of the biggest computer
companies in the United States.
Remington Rand was acquired by
Sperry Corporation in 1955 to form a company then known as Sperry
Rand (later shortened to Sperry).
Initially produced by Remington
Arms, the Remington Typewriters (above in this photo) were the
first to use the QWERTY keyboard layout. Remington Arms had bought
the design from Christopher Sholes. The Remington No.1 was the
first model released. All keys were uppercase. Remington Arms
spun off Remington Typewriter Company in 1886, and after the 1927
merger, the Remington Rand Corp. continued to manufacture and
a number of great pictures contributed by Tom Burhyte and you
can view some of them at his Tom
Burhyte's Eldridge Park page, which, like SHS58.org is sponsored